Cirrhosis of the Liver
Cirrhosis of the Liver - Irreversible and chronic liver disease
• Laennec’s Type is the most prevalent in the US
• Alcohol is metabolized to acetaldehyde, which is very toxic to hepatocytes
• Begins with fatty infiltration of the liver causing a large firm liver
• Other types: Biliary (bile flow obstruction) and Postnecrotic (such as hepatitis)
The Liver Functions
1. Bile production – Produces and secretes 600 to 1,200 ml of bile per day
2. CHO metabolism
– Glycogenesis (glucose to glycogen)
– Glycogenolysis (glycogen to glucose)
– Gluconeogenesis (Amino acid to glucose)
3. Fat metabolism
4. Protein metabolism
5. Synthesizes plasma CHON such as albumin, prothrombin, fibrinogen, and clotting factors
6. Stores large amount of blood via portal vein
7. Kupffer’s cells in the liver filters bacteria in the blood
Assessment of Liver Cirrhosis
• Portal HPN, hypoalbumenemia leading to anasarca, hyperammonemia
• Jaundice and scleral icterus
• Spider angiomata, palmar erythema, caput medusa
• Ascites, RUQ pain, hepatosplenomegaly
• Malnutrition, muscle wasting and atrophy
• LOC and DTR, disorientation, tremors, asterixis, metabolism of sex steroids
Nursing Care Plan for Liver Cirrhosis
• Vital signs, watch out for increasing PR and hypotension (on the upper extremities)
• Monitor for signs of bleeding
• Low sodium, low protein intake (for encephalopathy)
• Weigh daily, measure abdominal girth
• High Fowler’s position, O2 as ordered
• Rx: diuretics, lactulose, neomycin SO4, ADEK
Complications of Liver Cirrhosis
• Portal Hypertension
• Esophageal varices
– May rupture secondary to coughing, sneezing, vomiting, ingestion of foods high in roughage
– Tx: Sclerotherapy or tamponade
• Hepatic encephalopathy
• Hepatorenal syndrome
Recommended Diet for Cirrhosis of the Liver:
Fatty Liver Diet Guide - 10 Articles,KWs,Vids provided!!
Written by a Registered Nurse. High conversions, Low refunds, everything provided to get you started right away. See to appreciate!
Recommended Readings for Cirrhosis of the Liver:
The Liver Cirrhosis Bible & Ezra Protocol!
Liver cirrhosis is devastating condition that ruins the life of millions and kills hundreds of thousands every year. Ezra protocol is the only proven solution for reversing the deadly processes naturally and without transplants.
Liver Disease Survivors Guide - Cirrhosis!
The ebook is about real stories of survivors who had life threatening liver disease called Cirrhosis. It also contains stories on how family members cope with having a loved one who has this terminal illness.
Read other nursing concepts related to:
Cirrhosis of the Liver in this page.
Or go back to home page for more nursing information:
Online Nursing CEUS.
Do you have something to tell us about this topic? Share it!