CRNE Prep Guide
Short Answer Questions Case 2
CRNE Prep Guide: Case 2: Mrs. Ong, 37 years old, is being treated for essential hypertension at the community clinic. She admits to the nurse that she is taking herbs along with her blood pressure medication.
1. List two ways the nurse can demonstrate respect for Mrs. Ong's choice to use a complementary therapy.
2. List two potentially harmful effects of herbal remedies
3. List three ways nurses can increase their knowledge of holistic modalities
CRNE Prep Guide:
Answers and Rationale
1. For three points, list any 2 of the following answers:
- Explore Mrs. Ong's choice
- Communicate her choice to care team
- Include Mrs. Ong's choice in the plan of care
-Support her choice
- Provide information on potential drug interaction
Rationale: nurses are obligated to respect and promote client autonomy (i.e. independence). By supporting clients in personal health choices and practices, nurses demonstrate respect for their clients, regardless of their own personal views.
2. For three points, list any 2 of the following answers:
- Interactions (herbs, drug, food)
- Adverse reactions
- Aggravation of pre-existing health condition (hypertension)
- Abnormal behaviors
Rationale: Herbal remedies are physiologically active substances and subject to the same principles of safe medication use. Some herbal remedies have been associated with potentially serious adverse effects. Therefore, it is important for the nurse to be aware of any actual or potential problems that may develop. With this knowledge, the nurse can anticipate and intervene appropriately in client care situations.
3. For three points, list any 3 of the following answers:
- Self-study (discuss with clients, read articles, search the internet)
- review nursing literature
- review current research
- continuing education (training, workshop, seminar, certification)
- colleagues (physician, pharmacist)
- complementary therapist
- agent policy
Rationale: Information about complementary therapies may not be a standard component of nursing education and may require ongoing study by the nurse. Given the increasing use of complementary therapies, it is important that nurses be aware of complementary health practices.
Visit this page for more
CRNE Prep Guide Sample Questions.
Or go back to homepage:
Online Nursing CEUS.