Registered Nurse Bag Technique - Principles and its Content
REGISTERED NURSE BAG TECHNIQUE
- it is “a tool” that makes use of a public health bag through which the nurse, during his/her visit, can perform nursing procedures with case and deftness, saving time and effort with the end in view of rendering effective nursing care.
Public Health Bag
- it is an essential and indispensable “equipment” of the public health nurse which she has to carry along when he/she goes out home visiting. It contains basic medications and articles which are necessary for giving care.
Principles of Bag Technique
1. It should minimize if not totally prevent the spread of infection from individuals to families, hence, to the community.
2. Bag technique should save time and effort on the part of the nurse in the performance of nursing procedures
3. Bag technique should not overshadow concern for the patient rather should show the effectiveness of total care given to an individual or family
4. Bag technique can be performed in a variety of ways depending upon agency policies, actual home situation, as long as principles of avoiding transfer of infection are carried out.
Special Considerations in the Use of the Registered Nurse or Public Health Nurse Bag
1. It should contain all necessary articles, supplies and equipment which may be used to answer emergency needs
2. Public health nurse bag and its contents should be cleaned as often as possible. Supplies replaced and ready for use at any time
3. The bag and its contents should be well protected from contact with any article in the home of the patients. Consider the bag and its contents clean and/or sterile while any article belonging to the patient are dirty and contaminated
4. The arrangement of the contents of the bag should be the one most convenient to the user to facilitate efficiency and avoid confusion
5. Hand washing is done as frequently as the situation calls for. It helps in minimizing or avoiding contamination of the bag and its contents
6. The bag when used for a communicable case should be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before keeping and re-using.
Contents of the Registered Nurse or PHN Bag
• Paper lining
• Extra paper for making bag for waste materials (paper bag)
• Hand towel in plastic bag
• Soap in soap dish
• Thermometers in case (one oral and one rectal)
• 2 pairs of scissors (1 surgical and 1 bandage)
• 2 pairs of forceps (curved and straight)
• Syringes (5ml and 2ml)
• Hypodermic needles (g. 19, 22, 23, 25)
• Sterile dressings (OS, C.B)
• Sterile cord tie
• Adhesive plaster
• Dressing (OS, cotton ball)
• Alcohol lamp
• Tape measure
• Baby’s scale
• 1 pair of rubber gloves
• 2 test tubes
• Test tube holder
2. 70% alcohol
3. ophthalmic ointment (antibiotic)
4. zephiran solution
5. hydrogen peroxide
6. spirit of ammonia
7. acetic acid
8. benedict’s solution
Note: Blood pressure apparatus and Stethoscope are carried separately.
Read other nursing concept related to
Registered Nurse Bag Technique.
Or go back to home page for more nursing information:
Online Nursing CEUS.
Do you have something to tell us about this topic? Share it!